In late 2015 Helderberg Sunrise Rotary Club was introduced to Go For Gold by a club member, Francis Chemaly, a Director of Haw & Inglis ,one of the original construction companies who founded the organisation.
In 1999 this group of Construction Companies had the vision to set up an award-winning underprivileged youth ‘education to employment’ development initiative through a collaboration between the industry, government & civil society
Why this project and what are the objectives ?
An opportunity for a strong educational intervention including Life skills support was found at Go For Gold.
Furthermore the bridging mentorship support in the process of blending Students from different ethnic groups & communities into successful teams boded well for the settling into succesful Employment.
The fact that this was a seamless education to employment carefully structured process was the ultimate in our selecting Go For Gold.
Helderberg Sunrise Rotary Club decided to support this project because
of the dire need for educated leaders of high moral values in the future of a successful South Africa & hopefully the world.
With the objective of ensuring the system chosen was to be meticulous in its attention to the difficulties of adolescence, different cultures & growing into the environment of work & life challenges.
What is Go for Gold ?
A programme consisting of a four phase Internationally recognised system that enables young scholars from disadvantaged backgrounds & communities to study a technical profession & then secure meaningful employment.
THE FOUR PHASES OF THE GO FOR GOLD PROGRAMME.
Phase I : 2 years Grades 11 & 12 Leading to Matric entry to Tertiary Education:
Phase 2 : 1 year Internship. Consolidation before entering Tertiary Institution.
Phase 3 : 4 year Tertiary Studies culminating in Graduation with a Tertiary Qualification
Phase 4 : Guaranteed Employment
Phases 2,3 & 4 are supported by parent Built Environment Active Businesses
SUMMARY of the SUCCESS OF GO FOR GOLD:
1. Go for Gold has grown from a purely CONSTRUCTION OUTREACH to the complete range of Built Environment Companies.
2. Geographically Go for Gold has recently expanded to the Gauteng (Johannesburg Pretoria) Area as well as the Eastern Cape (Port Elizabeth) Area where Go For Gold has expanded into the Motor Industry. The expansion is carefully monitored along the successfully created formula.
HOW DOES ROTARY PLAY ITS PART FINANCIALLY IN GO FOR GOLD?
Rotary has become involved in the Go for Gold Phase 1 giving this incredible opportunity to children who otherwise would be lost to needy sponsor Companies ,Communities, Country & to their own upliftment & value in Society.
- Raising funds through its various on going fund raising projects
- Networking with other Rotary Clubs around the world who find Go for Gold meets their objectives to contribute to the upliftment of disadvantaged communities.
- Carl-Heinz Duisberg’s extensive network in Rotary & his focus on Go For Gold has been an incredible injection of support from ROTARY
- The following sponsors are currently involved together with Rotary Club Helderberg Sunrise’s Initiative to support.
i) Rotary Club Nurnberg-Reichswald
ii) Rotary Club Salzberg West,
- A wonderful interest was shown by Mr Stefan Winners who very generously donated toward the development of 15 Phase 1 Students for their Grade 11 & Grade 12 Maths, Science & Life Skills upliftment development.
How Many Students are being Sponsored ?
ROTARY STUDENT DEVELOPEMENT SUPPORT IN GO FOR GOLD
i) 2016 - 7 grade 11 students successfully completed the year
ii) 2017 - 7 grade 12 students writing Matric in October/November
iii) 2017 - 15 Grade 11 Stefan Winners students completing year.
iv) 2018 - 15 Grade 12 Stefan Winners students completing Matric
v) 2017- 1 Grade 11 student completing in the year.